A Tourist in Munich

“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” – Bilbo via JRR Tolkien
The Original Lowenbrau
The Original Lowenbrau

When arriving in any new city, I feel it is the expected duty of all tourists to visit all apparent  historical, cultural and popular sites, thereby contributing back to long suffering locals for any imposition caused by endless questioning about directions and transport options. It subsidises the local economy and also spends any last remaining inheritance my children mistakenly believed they were entitled.

Munich has many such targeted tourist sites and so with a bucket load of self-belief, a trusty map and good walking shoes we set off down the road. The tantalising aromas from traditional Bavarian dishes

Glockenspeil
Glockenspeil

wafted over us as we wandered toward the old city down Leopoldestrasse. This is the main street of Munchen Schwabing, the old artists’ quarter of renown and now my local suburb. This appealing street is lined with the most wonderful outdoor cafes and restaurants and I intend getting to know each of them well during my stay here.

Marienplatz
Marienplatz

The cobblestone streets draw us closer into Marienplatz, the old original city square in Munchen (Munich) which contains the Rathouse (Town Hall) and the Glockenspiel (Clock Tower). At high noon we stand shoulder to shoulder with other tourists of the holiday faith who have come from across the nations to watch the life size characters on the 100 year old clock dance and joust for our pleasure.

After the performance, we give thanks by breaking the bread and drinking the wine and beer with the tourist multitudes at the famous Hofbrauhaus. This beer hall is crowded and noisy while the food is comforting and the service friendly. The ‘Oompah Band’ plays in the courtyard while we enjoy our very German lunch. 

Hofbrauhaus Lunch
Hofbrauhaus Lunch

Wandering back down the winding side streets we stop frequently to gaze into old and new shops trading alongside one another. The Hard Rock Café slickly sell their latest t shirts while the local shopkeepers next door trade in traditional lederhosen, waistcoats and feathered hats. Tempting as SC they are however, Rob declines my offer to buy him one and we move on in the warm summer sunshine past street performers who entertain the crowds and moving statues who beckon us to join them for photographs.                                    

It’s not long before we come across the Viktualienmarkt. This is one of the oldest market places in Europe and houses some of its finest produce so we stroll around between the stalls soaking up all the sumptuous sites and

Olives
Olives

succulent smells from each of the specialist stalls; sausages and cured  meats of every variety, the freshest vegetables and fruits (including those little red berries I’ve been eating for breakfast that turn out to be currants), olives

Breads and pastries
Breads and pastries

and other garlic soaked and stuffed titbits, fruits of the sea, wines, beers, fresh baked breads, pretzels, bread and more bread… and the  ultimate accompaniment of course… cheeses!

Cheeses
Cheeses

We take our newly acquired booty home to enjoy at our pleasure while we pour over maps and tour guides planning our next outing as a ‘tourist in Munich’.