Genghis Khan – pronounced and written Chinghis Khan but born ‘Temujin’; founder and Great Khan of the Mongel Empire;
born about 1162 and died August 1227; was buried in a secret place and 600 horseman rode all over that place to erase the exact spot… then all 600 were killed. Now that’s public servant dedication!
Temperature – any temperature below minus ten (-10C) is irrelevant because nose drips have already formed icicles from the tip of the beacon illuminating from the centre of your face and Rudolph and Santa have conscripted you for work on Christmas eve.
Elves – I have never seen one but I hear they enter a ger throughout the night at 11pm, 2am and 5am to stoke the fire and add coal to create that ‘on the streets of Dubai temperature’ we all hanker for during March in Mongolia. It’s always a lovely contrast to the -35C outside. I would like to take an elf home.
Food – Vegetarians need not apply. Mutton is good. Mutton soup is good. Mutton dumplings are good. Muttonballs with anything are good. Mutton barbecues are great. Potato is the vegetable and potato cutlets are a highlight. Yes, mashed potato, crumbed and cooked like mutton.
Wine – a corkscrew is essential for fine dining and to accompany mutton masterchef moments.
Goats – cashmere walks before you wear it.
Fashion – The ‘Terrorist Look’ is in!
Clothing – getting dressed for that middle of the night toilet dash is a simple affair. Here are the layers I recommend:
- Wool knickers
- Thermal long johns – bright, colourful patterns optional
- Socks – 2 pair of woolen or possum at the least
- Jeans – optional
- Snow/walking boots
- Merino singlet
- Polypropylene long sleeved top
- Fleecy jumper
- Lip balm on
- Scarf – wrapped around head and across face at least twice
- Beanie – on top of scarf
- Long arm woolen mittens
- All weather duck down jacket/parker – collar turned up and zipped to your nose
- Hood over beanie
- Sunglasses – to keep cold off eyeballs. Yes they fog up but it is warmer!
- Antiseptic hand wash – in pocket to be used after because water in pipes are frozen.
- Now… run!!
What a wonderful experience to have visited this ancient land. I feel like Princess Fiona has definitely soared!